Tuesday, February 11, 2014

WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable

WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black (WDBZFP0010BBK-NESN)
✔SALE: 39% OFF
WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black WDBZFP0010BBK-NESN...
4.5 out of 5 stars
CONSUMER REVIEWS(943)
USB 3.0 connectivity
Automatic and cloud backup
Password protection and hardware encryption
Works great with Windows 8
Price: $129.99
Deal Price: $79.99

Description
My Passport Ultra with USB 3.0 and high capacity features automatic and cloud backup; password protection and hardware encryption, 3-year limited warranty.
I had been using a Seagate FreeAgent Go 640GB portable drive for about three years now, and wanted something with some more space and higher transfer speeds. I purchased this drive for it's beefy 2 TB of storage space and speedier USB 3.0 interface.Out of the box, you get the drive, a 15" USB 3.0 cable, soft pouch, quick install guide, and a 3-year limited warranty. The drive looks nice, and appears to be of good construction. Doesn't look or feel cheaply made. I like how compact it is. It's about an inch shorter in length than my FreeAgent Go, and maybe a millimeter or two thicker. The included soft pouch is a nice addition and helps keep dust and dirt off of it. Not an ideal case solution if you're prone to dropping things or somewhat rough with your belongings, so you might want to invest in a more rugged case. It works fine for me though as I keep mine in a messenger bag when on the go, and it's a nice addition considering most other drives don't come with anything...
This is a nice drive be sure to click through each of the storage amounts because of the time of writing this review the 500 GB was only $10 less than the 1 TB and doubling your space for $10 is a no-brainer (Also be sure to click through the different colors as the prices vary for the same storage size for example the time of writing this review the black and blue 2 TB hard drives were $20 less than the red 2 TB hard drive). I never use backup software so I won't comment on that. I'm on a Mac and time machine does it for me but even when I was a Windows user I would just format the hard drive and use it to store my files. I also recommend doing just one partition as personally I think when I get into multiple partitions it gets confusing as to where I put what and then you will run out of space on one partition while having ample on the other just use folders.If you're a Mac user setting this hard drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps...
Update 12 No 2013: Needed a slight update to my review because my original claim that My Passport (no Ultra) is cheaper is no longer true. Prices change, so do compare them before buying.My Passport Ultra is a fast drive. I've had several USB3 drives over the years and they are all real fast. If you need to transfer huge amount of data quickly, like 100+GBs, USB3 is the way to go. In terms of hardware, I don't have any complaints.Oh the case looks pretty sleek too. No power cable required. You can use the USB cable with USB2 ports also, with the speed downgraded of course.- Bundle Software -1. WD Drive Utilities - Provides some utilities services to check status, test functionality and reformatting.2. WD Security - Enables you to set password to the drive3. WD SmartWare Pro - This handles...

No comments:

Post a Comment