Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade
✔SALE: 43% OFF
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade
3.2 out of 5 stars
CONSUMER REVIEWS(1222)
Running Windows 7, Windows XP or Windows Vista? Upgrade to Windows 8 with Windows 8 Pro
Startup quickly
Customize your Start screen with Live Tiles
Stay safer with Windows Defender
Encrypt your data with Bitlocker
Price: $199.99
Deal Price: $114.99

Description
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (Upgrade)
BEFORE YOU UPGRADE: stop by the Microsoft website and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant (link in the comments). This program will comb through your system and offer you detailed analysis of what will and won't upgrade. It offers links to articles that explain in detail what you may need to do, and it can save you a lot of headaches. For example, I have a laptop with no USB drivers--yet! I now have a link to the manufacturer's website that I've bookmarked and when drivers become available I'll upgrade that machine too.Windows 7 has been a well-received OS, so the case for upgrading to Windows 8 has been difficult for Microsoft to make. While the look and feel of Windows 8 is strikingly different, for the most part it boils down to one huge change: the Start Menu that we have had since Windows 95 is no longer a menu. Icons are now displayed as tiles of varying widths in a full-screen splash. Some of this makes sense in that some of today's programs are more like...
This review largely separates the Windows 8 upgrade/installation experience from the user interface experience. While I consider myself a power user of Windows 7, this didn't come only in its use since upgrading to that OS three years ago . Any proficiency I enjoyed as a Windows 7 user evolved from much longer experience acquired during the evolution of its predecessors (going back to Windows 95). Windows 8 offers a much different user interface (at least to "start" with...pun intended) that relies less on on your prior expertise with earlier Windows operating systems. Much of it will be familiar to users of earlier Windows versions, but it has enough differences to remind you frequently that this is *not*the Windows OS you've become --for better or worse-- familiar with. Because of this, I'm going easy on assessing it until I've had a more time using it for my normal productivity tasks (but so far, I'm lukewarm on the interface).Since this is an *upgrade* version of...
I must confess that I use my computer for work, using the office suite, and a variety of scientific and engineering applications. This new versions targets the masses who use computers for games, watching videos and social neworking among other amusements. Windows 8 makes productive computing almost unbearable, as a second layer of interfacing is placed on a productive desktop and many more mouse movements are required to achieve even the most basic functions. I understand that numerous keyboard commands are available to speed up activities, but this seems to retro, like going back to the 80's and remembering Wordstar or Appleworks keystrokes.I am glad that I purchased this at a discount, since I am sure I will need to migrate at some point, but after 30 hrs of installation of all software, it was worth it to me to do a bare metal reinstall of Win7 just to get back to a reasonable level of productivity. Best of luck to you if you do plan this upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment