Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers
✔SALE: 24% OFF
Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers...
4.7 out of 5 stars
CONSUMER REVIEWS(386)
Weight - 0.6
Depth - 5.50
Width - 4.25
Height - 0.13
Price: $16.99
Deal Price: $12.98

Description
Teach a child letter sounds with Bob Books Set 1! With four letters in the first story, children can read a whole book. Consistent new sounds are added gradually, until young readers have read books with all letters of the alphabet (except Q). Short vowels and three-letter words in simple sentences make Bob Books Set 1 a fun confidence builder. With little books, come big success. (TM)
To see more reviews, check out the item in its previous packaging (the content has not changed) by looking up ISBN 0439145449.Bob Books come in 5 sets on 3 levels, and they cover the fundamentals of reading through about half of the Kindergarten level, which is lower than either of the other programs. Each set contains 8-12 books for the child to read, with a line or two of text per page.Unlike many programs, there is little to no direction for the parent. However, they are carefully crafted to introduce the sounds in a systematic and maximally rewarding way, as well as carefully choosing sight words. The very first book requires that the child know the sounds of only four letters (M, A, S, T) and one sight word (on). The rest of the first set of 12 books (12 pages each) introduces the rest of the alphabet and short-vowel sounds, carefully reviewing everything learned, as well as a handful of high-utility sight words. The second set of 12 books (12 pages each)...
I have to admit, when I first got the Bob Books for my son, I was very excited about them. I thought the gradual pace of vowel and consonant introduction would make reading easier and give a natural progression. My 4-year old son read the first 3 or 4 books in the series, we were both excited, and all was well. I was thinking 4 or 5 stars.Then within a week, my son refused to read the books. I knew that he could - he was certainly capable - but anytime I mentioned them, he would whine, complain and tell me that he didn't want to. This from the boy who is a book nut and would have me read to him 24-7 if possible! He would sit with me so I could read other books to him, and even try to read them himself, but wanted nothing to do with the Bob Books. This went on for months with the same response.It wasn't until I started doing a bunch of literacy reading and research for my job that I realized the probable reason why the Bob Books are gathering dust on our...
I saw these books a few years ago and figured they were too easy, but I was running into a problem. I could not get my (then 5 year old) little girl to read books. She was reading all of her lessons with little if any trouble, but when I would try to get her to read the same words in a book she wanted nothing to do with it. I set these books in front of her and she read all 12. They didn't help her to learn to read, but they were a great help in getting her to read and to enjoy reading.I am now teaching my second child to read. I LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!! They are really helping her figure out how to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment